Hey everyone. Today I want to show you guys my favorite source for free botanical art prints! I am a huge fan of the neat, straight lined gallery walls of framed botanicals and ferns. They give a room that pop of green. These prints also have a vintage appeal to them. If you buy the right frame, they can look like an expensive, collected piece of art. I handpicked a bunch of these beautiful art prints to give you some ideas, but I’ll walk you through how I navigate the website so you can pick your favorites. WARNING: You can get lost for hours perusing this amazing source of free prints!
Wouldn’t these look great above a couch? Or in a dining room as a large focal wall? Ballard Designs has some great inspiration on their website for these type of gallery walls. Although they can cost a fortune.
Both images via Ballard Designs.
How to get your Free Botanical Art
- I go to The New York Public Library Digital Collections website.
- On the homepage, I click on Browse, then Items.
- You should now see a menu on the left hand side. I check the box that says “Show only Public Domain.”
- Then I click on Topic. A list of topics come up. Click on the More button.
- I usually pick from the Flowers, Botany, Birds and Plants topics.
- When I find a picture I like, I click on it for a better view.
- If you like it, then you can choose what resolution you want to download. Done!
**You can also search by keyword, for instance – type in “ferns” in the search box. I always make sure the “Show only Public Domain” box is checked.
I’ll do a post on the printing/framing process soon too.
I like to get my frames from Target and Michael’s. Michael’s usually has sales and there is always a coupon floating around somewhere! Sometimes you can score a good, inexpensive frame from HomeGoods. If you don’t like the print that it comes with, you can sometimes swap it out and still keep the frame.
This is really just a small sampling. I could have filled up an entire website with the amazing collection of materials they have.
Hint: Type “alliums” into the search box. Aren’t they pretty? I just love how delicate these prints are!
To grab this colorful collection of prints, go here.
I hope you guys find some good ones! I know you will. If you like my blog (thank you), please subscribe to be notified of new posts. I send out one email a week (Saturday) with all new posts to keep you updated!